What is as American as apple pie? I think playing with this Apple Pie Play Dough just might be.
September always has me finding new ways to use apples and this project is no exception. Do you love apple everything like I do? Do you like making things yourself the natural way instead of always running out and buying them? One of my favorite things to play with is play dough. I loved creating with it as a child and then again when my children were young. Just because you don’t have any young children at home doesn’t mean you can’t find an excuse to make some for your house. The visitors at your home will love you. Here is what you need to do to make some Apple Pie Play Dough for the child in your life!
DIY Apple Pie Play Dough
1 cup of all purpose flour
¼ cup of salt
1 ½ tablespoons of cream of tartar
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 cup boiling water
Red food coloring
2 teaspoons of apple pie spice
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
½ teaspoon of nutmeg
1. Heat the water in a microwave safe dish for 2-3 minutes or until it is boiling.
2. Combine your ingredients, with the exception of the food coloring, in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
3. Continue to mix well until a paste forms. If the paste still seems sticky or runny, you can sprinkle in a little flour until the desire consistency is created.
4. Your dough can now be colored. Add a few drops of red food coloring to the dough. Continue kneading until the color is distributed. If you want to leave a white swirl throughout the dough, don’t over knead.
5. You can now sprinkle in additional apple pie spice if you want the dough to have a stronger smell. Otherwise, it is now ready to be played with.
This apple pie play dough can be stored in an air tight container or zip lock bag where it will keep for weeks. We never had such fancy looking or smelling play dough when I was a child. Speaking of playing with it, I used to love making tiny food and snakes! Hahaha! Random I know! So when was the last time you played with some and what is your favorite thing to make out of play dough?
UPDATE: If you love this as much as everyone else has then you will LOVE my new recipe for Hot Chocolate Play Dough too so check it out!