I’m back from touring in the wine country of Italy and so excited to share this DIY tutorial for Wine Cork Napkin Rings that you to make!
I was lucky enough to spend part of my time in Tuscany, which is known for it’s famous rolling countryside and famous vineyards. Although I do not drink wine, I can appreciate it and do love collecting the wine corks and bottles to use for craft projects. I’m happy to share with all of you these beautiful Wine Cork Napkin Rings, created especially for me, by part of my talented team here at Wendys Hat! You’re going to love this beautiful and useful tutorial.
Napkin Ring Tutorial
7 Real wine corks (non-syntethic)
7 Bead topped straight pins
1 straight edge blade (I used a box cutter)
14” of 26 Gauge wire (I used silver color)
1 pair of small wire cutters
White multi-surface paint (found at any craft store)
Small Paint brush
1. With a straight razor, cut off the tip of the wine cork. This is approximately 1/7th of the cork (or 1/5”).
2. With the piece of cork you cut off, guide the cork around the edge of the blade by rotating it around the blade. You want at least a 1 millimeter cut into the cork.
Bend your wire in half, and make a loop at the end of it.
- In keeping everything centered, place the first piece of wine cork that you’ve cut into the base of the loop, and then guide and embed the wire into your cut around the cork. Where the 2 wires meet at the end of the middle of the bottom of the cork, pull tight and give it 2 small twists to help keep it in place.
Keep process going until all 7 cork tops are linked together.
4. Grab your white pain and paint brush, and then add light layer of paint on top and allow to dry. This will take approximately 20 minutes.
5. While corks are drying, we are going to cut the tops of the beaded straight pins off with our wire cutters. You want to leave at least 4 to 5 Millimeter length of pin left attached to the bead.
6. Wrap the end pieces around the wire loop and then cut the ends of the wires off and push press the wire ends together to create a smooth surface.
7. Once your wine cork napkin ring is completed, you’re going to take a single floral embellishment and center into the middle of a wine cork. Then take one of your cut beaded straight pins and push into the center of the flower and attach to wine cork. Don’t be afraid to push the pin in. You want to make sure that it is attached.
8. If you wish to, you’re more than welcome to use super glue or a hot glue gun to tack everything into place on the cork.
9. You’re all done! Enjoy and use with your favorite table setting!
What do you think? If you want an even easier Napkin Ring to make check out my Burlap and Buttons Napkin Rings. But seriously though, isn’t this the sweetest thing you could make out of a wine cork? I think so too and can’t wait to use them at my table!