This New Year I’ve been thinking a lot about how My Healthy New Year Was Inspired by an Orange! Yes that juicy fruit that’s full of vitamin C. Laugh if you want but it’s true! My health is what’s most important to me in my life because I need to take care of myself first before I can take care of my life or anyone else in it. What am I going to do this year that’s new and what I will keep doing the same? I had a lot to think about and here’s what happened.
It all started with an orange! I know that inspiration can come from anywhere and for me it’s usually found in nature. The color orange is so full of life and cheerful that, whether I see it in a piece of fruit or in a majestic sunrise, I am continually drawn to it. Even the sweet but fresh scent of an orange is enough to make me happy! So seeing an orange this morning made me think about making plans for myself and My Healthy New Year. Just like a freshly picked orange is waiting to be used in a favorite recipe, January brings a fresh new year full of nothing but possibilities of anything our heart desires. Call it a resolution, goal or just a plan but any way you look at it you won’t get your desired result if you don’t do more than just think about it. So here’s my list of 8 top tips that I am going to incorporate into my New Year routine. Some are new and some I’ve done before and found to be helpful in my life. I believe these tips will lead to me enjoy my happy and healthy life even more than I would without them. Writing them down is the first step so here they are.
1. BE OPTIMISTIC. This is probably the most important thing that I can do for myself! Having a positive outlook can get me far in this life and I know that. Situations come and go and things can happen that I have no control over but I do have control over how I feel. I choose to BE HAPPY!
2. GET OUTSIDE. There is no better feeling than being outside with the cool breeze on my back and the warm sun over my head. I enjoy working in my garden just as much as hiking to a mountain top because they both take me outside. Whether the weather is perfect or not I will get outside each day and enjoy it! Some days it will be for just a moment and some days it will be for hours at a time but either way it will be good for me.
3. EAT FRESH. This is something that I’ve felt strongly about doing for myself and have enjoyed the benefits of all my life already so why stop now. Lucky for me I love to cook so this is an easy one. I also love gardening so I try to always keep an herb garden, a few fruit trees, tomatoes and a couple other vegetables in my little garden at home. Anyone can have a little garden, even in an apartment and I’ve shared my ideas for how to do that before. Whether you have a little garden of your own, shop in a farmers market or even a large grocery store, you can choose to buy more fresh fruits and vegetables and fill your meals with them. It’s better for me and tastes better too so I will continue to do more of it!
4. IMMUNE SUPPORT. This has been an important part of my life since I was young, partly due to the fact that I have severe allergies. I like to take proactive maintenance for myself, so besides eating as many good fresh foods as I can, I choose and really rely on the immune support that certain products can provide me. I like this vitamin C supplement in particular because of what’s in it and more important to me, what’s not in it. In fact in preparing for the new year last week, I went to stock up on everything I needed.
5. PHYSICAL ACTIVITY. Remember your childhood days of playing outdoor games with a friend? It’s still good for me so I need to do more of it! As a teenager I started moderately lifting a few light weights as part of my routine, under the guidance of a fitness professional to learn at first of course. I need to get back to lifting more weights again at least a few times a week. I’m also going to find time to do more yoga and pilates again this year because I love it! Remember two years ago when I took a weekly Hot Hula Class all year? Being involved in a physical activity can be so many different things. As long as you find something to do that you love, you’ll keep doing it which will be nothing but a good thing! My favorite physical activity is taking a brisk walk and I will continue to do it for at least 30 minutes each day.
6. MEMORABLE MOMENTS. Being spontaneous has been an important part of my life forever and FUN too! A few years ago my #1 focus was on making more memorable moments and if you do this you will never regret it either! Just dropping everything and doing something that presents itself at the last moment has taken me on some of the greatest adventures of my life! This can be as little or as big of a thing as you want. I highly recommend to just DO IT!
7. MEANINGFUL MOMENTS. Another year my focus was to more of what matters and not fill my time up doing nothing. Whether it be doing more service oriented projects and giving back to my community or merely spending more time doing spiritual things, there are many meaningful activities that I need to consciously focus on so they happen. This is another thing that I’ll never regret doing more of either. I need to get off the computer and do more of that today! Ha ha ha!
8. TRY SOMETHING NEW. This is my favorite tip! Life would get old and boring and if I never tried anything new. Just look up and consciously try to find something or look at something in a new way each day. Try something new once a week or month. Have you always wanted to learn how to do something? What’s stopping you? Travel to a new place once a month or even just once a year. It can be to somewhere as close as a place in your town that you always drive by but never stop to go in. It can be as far away as that exotic land on the other side of the world that you’ve always dreamed about or anywhere in between. It doesn’t matter where just DO IT! Whether your new things are big or small, this is your year to make it happen.
Well there it is, my guideline for the future, and to think it was all inspired by an orange! I’m going to eat one today just to celebrate! I’m excited about the possibilities that lie before me and the things that I have planned to incorporate into my life. Do you have a plan? If not then it might not happen. What are you going to do this year just for YOU? What will you be doing this year that makes you happy? In the end it makes for a better YOU.