Sharing my new favorite Patriotic Flag Waffles. Why? Because everyone loves to have fun with their food!
Breakfast during any holiday was always a big deal when my children were growing up. Remember my Perfect Pumpkin Pancakes story? Well now I’m sharing a favorite breakfast waffle idea that is just as easy as it is cute. So heat up your waffle irons and make these cute patriotic waffles for breakfast for flag day and also on the 4th of July! This simple waffle mix recipe is perfect but you can also buy a box of waffle mix too. Don’t have a waffle iron? These would work on a frozen waffle, as well. Everyone will have fun making them so I’m sure you’ll have lots of helpers!
INGREDIENTS FOR HOMEMADE WAFFLES
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 T granulated sugar
2 eggs, separated
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 3/4 cups whole milk
HOMEMADE WAFFLES DIRECTIONS
1. Add all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk until blended.
2. Separate both eggs, adding the yolks to the dry ingredient mixture and placing the whites in a separate small mixing bowl.
3. Beat the whites until stiff peaks form, set aside.
4. And the milk and melted butter to the dry ingredient mixture and blend well.
5. Fold the stiff egg whites into the dry ingredient mixture.
6. Pour waffle batter into a hot waffle iron and bake.
7. Remove hot waffle from waffle iron and immediately place on plate to cool.
INGREDIENTS FOR PATRIOTIC WAFFLES
Waffles (homemade or store-bought)
Whipped Cream Cheese
Fresh strawberries, sliced diagonally
Bananas, sliced length-wise and then sliced in half
DIRECTIONS FOR PATRIOTIC WAFFLES
1. Spread a thin layer of whipped cream cheese on a waffle.
3. Place a single layer of blueberries along the entire outer edge of the waffle.
4. Add additional blueberries to the upper left corner of the waffle to resemble the stars of the flag.
5. Alternate strawberry and banana slices to make the stripes of the flag, the cream cheese will hold the fruit pieces in place.
6. Repeat step 5 all of the way down the waffle.
So heat up your waffle irons and make these cute patriotic waffles for breakfast this flag day and then again on the 4th of July! I look forward to spending these favorite Summer holidays with family. What is the most creative flag food idea you’ve found? First I want to know, what do you really look forward to eating on the 4th of July? Yum! I’m hungry now.